The man behind Soul Train, Don Cornelius has reached the end of the track. The former musical variety show host died at the age of 75 from an apparent suicide. According to the Los Angeles Times, police arrived at Cornelius’ Sherman Oaks home around 4 a.m. this morning and discovered the deceased Cornelius with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Soul Train premiered in 1970 and continued to run for over three decades years before finally ending in 2006. Cornelius ended his run as host in 1993.
“I have known him since I was19 years old and James Brown had me speak on Soul Train,” the Rev. Al Sharpton said in a statement. “We have maintained a friendship for the last 38 years. He brought soul music and dance to the world in a way that it had never been shown and he was a cultural game changer on a global level. Had it not been for Don Cornelius we would not have ever transcended from the Chitlin circuit to become mainstream cultural trendsetters.”
More on WNCX.com
- School of Rock Examination: Bob Seger
- On This Day In AC/DC History…May 20th – AC/DC COMES TO CLEVELAND!!!!!
- Win Lunch For Four Courtesy Of The Southeast Harley Diner
- On This Day In AC/DC History… May 18th
- Today O’Reilly Auto Parts Elyria Mr.Classic
- Primus’ Les Claypool On Rush’s Rock Hall Induction
- Make It So: A ‘Star Trek’ Playlist
- Marvel Studios’ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Movie Filming Road Closures
- Local Photographer & Former ‘NCX Jock To Be Featured In Local Gallery
- Win Tickets To The Berea Rib Cook-Off