Head Foo Fighter Dave Grohl apparently ruffled some feathers with his 33 second acceptance speech for Best Rock Performance at the GRAMMY Awards Sunday night . His band’s five time GRAMMY winning Wasted Light was recorded in his garage on analog tape, and in his speech he said, “It’s not about being perfect, it’s not about sounding absolutely correct, it’s not about what goes on in a computer.” Soon after that, the Foo Fighters performed as part of a dance music tribute along with electronic artists David Guetta and Deadmau5, who create music using a much more technologically advanced approach. (Deadmau5, in fact, had a Grammy nomination for his remix of the Foo Fighters’ “Rope.”) This had some fans crying foul.
So Dave took to the Foo Fighters’ website (note: NSFW) to clarify his speech. ”Not the Gettysburg Address… but I’m a drummer, remember?” he joked. ”Well, me and my big mouth.” He went on to explain that he loves all genres of music, citing artists “From Kyuss to Kraftwerk, Pinetop Perkins to Prodigy, Dead Kennedys to Deadmau5.” Saying that great advances in technology have led to the “human element” of music being lost, he mused that that leads to “a lot of music that sounds perfect, but lacks personality.” He mentioned that he likes dance music artist Skrillex (who took home three GRAMMYS that night as well), saying, “I don’t know how to do what Skrillex does… but I do know that the reason he is so loved is because he sounds like Skrillex. We have a different process and a different set of tools.”
Never one to take himself too seriously, he signed off by advising fans not to give him two Crown Royals and then ask him to make a speech, and signed his name “Davemau5.” Read the entire post here.
More on WNCX.com
- Dave Grohl on His Future as a Feature Film Director
- A National Take On The Kyrie Irving Trade…
- Prince’s 1987 Concert Movie ‘Sign o’ the Times’ Headed to Showtime
- Browns Notes: DeShone Kizer Hopes To Be Last QB Joe Thomas Blocks For, No Regrets For Brock Osweiler
- Billy Corgan Shares Solo Piano Ballad ‘Aeronaut’
- Proud Cavs Fan Catches Attention Of LeBron James
- The Green Side Of The Eclipse
- Hue Jackson Names DeShone Kizer Starter Saturday, Still No Declared Starter For Season
- Kyrie Irving Traded to Boston For Thomas, Crowder, 1st Round Pick
- Foo Fighters Release ‘The Sky is a Neighborhood’ Video