Does the name Robert B. Sherman mean anything to you? What about the Disney songs ”It’s a Small World After All” and “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”? Well, composer Robert Sherman is reponsible for those tunes, along with co-writing “You’re 16,” which was covered by Ringo Starr.
[photogallerylink id=74606 align=left]Sherman, who died on Monday in London, also co-wrote “Hushabye Mountain” from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, a song that David Gilmour performed during his shows in 2001 and 2002. He’s posted one of those performances of on his website, but you can now watch here.
The post to Gilmour’s site continues: “Robert and Richard Sherman began writing songs together in 1951 on a challenge from their father, Tin Pan Alley songwriter Al Sherman. After their initial success, the brothers were hired as staff songwriters by Walt Disney Studios, for whom they wrote more motion-picture musical scores than any other songwriters in the history of film. In 1965, the Sherman Brothers won two Academy Awards for Mary Poppins, which includes the songs Feed The Birds, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, and the Oscar-winning Chim Chim Cher-ee, going on to score many more accolades, awards, nominations and gold and platinum albums.
‘Hushabye Mountain’ appears twice in the movie of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and has been covered by, amongst others, Richard Hawley, Tony Bennett, and Julie London.”
Yesterday, March 6th, marked the 66th birthday of David Gilmour. He celebrated by giving away a free download of “A Pocketful of Stones” on his website.
More on WNCX.com
- Mitchell Trubisky Needs A New Car
- Browns Make Easy Pick, Pass On Another QB And Make 2 Trades In Round 1 Of Draft
- Watch: Myles Garrett Reacts To Being Selected By Browns No. 1 Overall
- Browns Add Jabrill Peppers, David Njoku Late In The First Round
- The Daily Cut: Ozzy Osbourne “Crazy Train”
- Classic Rock Almanac April 28, 2017
- Browns Select Myles Garrett No. 1 In 2017 NFL Draft
- Deepwood Run Breakfast Sunday April 30th
- What If The Browns JUST Drafted Quarterbacks?
- A New Movie Has Burt Reynolds Talking To Himself…