Anchored by classic rock hits and powered by a massive, loyal fan base and truly innovative original production, Pink Floyd’s legendary LP The Dark Side of the Moon is the longest-running album in the history of the Billboard 200 chart. And it just hit a milestone that no other record has ever accomplished.
[photogallerylink id=71516 align=left]Even more remarkable is no other album in Billboard 200 history is even close. The album with the second-most weeks spent on the chart is Johnny Mathis’ Greatest Hits album with 490. And no album in the past 20 years ranks in the top 10 for most weeks on it, so if Floyd’s record is ever broken it won’t happen for a long time.
Dark Side’s incredible, unmatched longevity on the charts shows that it is a truly timeless classic. And that would lend a bit of irony to one of the album’s best tracks, “Time.” David Gilmour’s line “shorter of breath, and one day closer to death” loses a bit of meaning when the song and album just refuse to die!
Did you contribute to the success of Dark Side of the Moon back in the vinyl days? Have you dove into the new “Immersion” or “Experience” reissue editions? Share your thoughts on this classic album in the comments.
More on WNCX.com
- Nick Gilbert Strikes Again
- Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Curator Remembers Ray Manzarek
- Your Pick 3 with Slats: 5/22/13
- School of Rock Examination: Neil Young
- On This Day In AC/DC History…May 22nd
- Michael Stanley’s After-Work DoubleShot: Bad Company
- Rock Hall’s Curatorial Director Howard Kramer Talks Passing Of The Doors’ Ray Manzarek
- 2 O’Clock 4-Play: A Tribute To Ray Manzarek
- From The Doors To X, Ray Manzarek’s Legacy – In His Own Words
- Ray Manzarek – RIP