Before You Spring Ahead This Weekend, Here’s Some Fun Facts On Daylight Saving Time
Daylight Saving Time will start Sunday, March 10 at 2am, but before you ‘spring ahead’, here are some fun facts about the history about the occurrence.
• Benjamin Franklin was the first American to advocate Daylight Saving Time in 1784, citing that many people burned candles at night for light and wasted early morning sunlight in the summer.
• The US began using the concept of DST for a bit during WWI, but didn’t fully adopt the use of it until after WWII.
• In 1966, the Uniform Time Act delegated that clocks would be set forward an hour on the last Sunday in April and set back on the last Sunday in October.
• In 2005, President George W. Bush extended the length of DST. It now begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November.
• Officially, the name is actually Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight Savings Time.
• There is an increase in heart attacks during the first week of DST due to the loss of an hour’s sleep. When DST ends in the fall, the heart attack rate is shown to have a reduction in occurrence.
• Also in 2005, Kazakhstan abolished DST due to its negative health effects.
• Arizona and Hawaii, as well as four US territories including American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, do not observe DST. Furthermore, Indiana adopted DST in 2006.
• DST has also provided confusion. In March 2007, a Pennsylvania honor student was mistakenly accused of a bomb threat at his school after he called an automated line to get info about scheduled classes. The actual bomb threat was called in by someone else an hour later.
• In Europe, DST is called “Summer Time.”
• Don’t forget that this year Daylight Saving Time (United States) 2013 begins at 2:00 AM on Sunday, March 10
• DST ends at 2:00 AM on Sunday, November 3
More on WNCX.com
- Dave Grohl ‘Terrified’ to Watch Cobain Doc ‘Montage of Heck’
- How to Download Apple Music
- ‘Ghostbusters’ Director Reveals New Proton Packs, Uniforms
- Marshawn Lynch Jumped Backwards into a Pit of Skittles on Conan O’Brien
- Julia Roberts Goes Vigilante in ‘Secret in Their Eyes’ Trailer: Watch
- ‘BoJack Horseman’ Still Drunk in Season 2 Trailer
- Freddie Mercury Gets a Good Laugh at Kanye West’s Cover of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
- Good News AC/DC Fans, You Can Now Stream The Band’s Catalog on Apple Music
- ‘Terminator 2′ is an Adorable Movie When Voiced by Children
- Chris Squire, Remembered